P. O. Box 12463,
Voice: (623) 297-1144,Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Delano R.Carter, P.E.
systems and controls design engineering for lumped or distributed-parameter
systems in the areas of flexible body dynamics, vibration management,
mechanical& optical pointing systems, and MEMS smart structures.
- Conceptualize and deduce system functional and
performance requirements from system operationalneeds. Decompose and
allocate system level requirements into lower levels of design by defining
the lower level functions and determining how welleach function must be
- Determine and apply the appropriate control theory
methodology for synthesizing, analyzing, and predictingsystem robust
performance using advanced mathematical control theory and/or mathematical
- Communicate information clearly and accurately
amongst various technical disciplines.
- Fifteen years experience with systems and controls
engineering. Various technical recognition awards. Advanced degrees in
- Engineered systems for vibration management and
control of precision, lightweight, high performing, flexible structures to
achieve vibration suppression and precision pointing of spacecraft
- Synthesized controllers for multiple
degree-of-freedom precision pointing, suppression, and vibration isolation
of optical payloads using decoupling and classical control techniques.
Designed structural control compensators for flexible structures using the
H-infinity robust control methodology.
- Developed integrated high-fidelity mathematical
models for the purpose of concept validation, system performance
evaluation and definition. Also for embedded real-time control evaluation.
Applied advanced computer-aided engineering tools such as MATRIXx/System
build and MATLAB/Simulink to develop models and controllers as well as
analysis tools such as Mathematica.
- Coordinated team of engineers in the successful
pursuit of programs by transforming customer requirements into system realizations.
Defined mechanical configuration, system functions and performance, and
derived preliminary sizing estimates.
- Researched, developed and proved a technique for
deriving implementable direct sampled-data controllers for MIMO
- Applied advanced mathematical concepts such as
quaternion algebra and functional analysis to the design and development
of models and controls.
- Hands-on hardware experience with various actuators,
sensors, electronic control units, and systems. Performed flexible link robotics
manipulator and control moment
gyroscope(CMG) array modeling & control.
State University: Tempe, AZ
Ph. D. - Electrical
Topic: Implementable Near-Optimal Direct Sampled-Data Controller Synthesis
University: Tempe, AZ
M.S.E. - Electrical
Dakota School of Mines & Technology: Rapid City, SD
B.S. - Electrical Engineering
State College: Spearfish, SD
H-infinity Mixed-Sensitivity Minimization for Stable Distributed Parameter
Plants under Sampled-Data Control, Kybernetika, vol. 35, no. 5,
- Weighted H-infinity Mixed-Sensitivity Minimization
for Distributed Parameter Plants under Sampled-Data Control,6th IEEE
Mediterranean Conf. on Ctrl & Systems, Jun. 1998.
- Vibration Isolation System for Precision Payloads,
19th AAS Guidance & Ctrl., Feb. 1996.
HAC-infinity/LAC Vibration Suppression for a Flexible Space Telescope:
SPICE, American Controls Conference, Jul. 1994.
- Pointing Mount with Active Vibration Isolation for
Large Payloads, 10th AAS Guidance and Control Conference, Feb. 1987.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- The International Society for Optical Engineering
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Tau Beta Pi (National Engineering Honor Society)
- Military & Academic Recognition Awards and
- Applied Patent: Magnetically Suspended Control
Moment Gyroscope Rotor Precession Rate Control